Website City of Edmonton
Enhancing the lives of Edmontonians through the way we design, build and sustain landscapes and open space.
Working with the Open Space Design Team, the Senior Landscape Architect is responsible for leading a team of professional City Landscape Architects that prepare open space designs and assist in their ultimate delivery. With an emphasis on providing landscape architecture expertise to both internal and external multidisciplinary teams throughout open space projects.
The Senior Landscape Architect is often a key project team member that helps to convey the interests of City stakeholders tasked with stewardship over open space assets.
The responsibilities extend to include the maintenance and management of standing professional services contracts. Procurement of professional services by leading, defining, and evaluating individual project requests and subsequent review of proposal submissions is also a significant responsibility.
Your success will be measured by your ability to achieve timely results in the context of a respectful, inclusive, and service-minded style. With a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments to Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated, and Excellent, you will:
- Define services, establish relationships, and manage the scope and practice of external multi-disciplinary consultant professional services with regards to standing arrangements and open procurement for the Open Space Asset
- Apply critical thinking and lends expertise to project requirements; strategize delivery methods, seek solutions and make decisions with regards to project scope, site programming/ design and construction
- Strive to achieve successful innovative landscape design by enhancing the City open space asset through access, attraction, uniqueness and programing while balancing operational impacts
- Responsible for being a subject matter expert with regard to landscape architecture
- Lead, establish and exemplify the desired culture that supports the branch and department vision and mission as well as the Cultural Commitment Principles
- Mentor and coach a productive design team of professional staff in a manner that fosters a culture of growth, development and continuous improvement
- Ensure staff are appropriately trained, empowered and have the competencies, tools and equipment required for them to perform their roles effectively
- Responsible for conducting recruitment and selection processes
- Develop and implement staff performance development and management plans
- Support the preparation of council reports and inquiries
- Assist business partners, stakeholders and project teams with requirements for successful project delivery
- Contribute design expertise to the internal professional team of landscape architects, technologists, technicians and project managers
- Lead, with the Senior Technologist, the Unit’s business tools, CAD/ drafting standards and processes as well as the training and development strategy for Landscape Architects and Technologists within the Design Unit
- Oversee the creation and approval of concept plans, design development drawings, detailed design drawings, contract documents following with construction oversight for large-scale, high profile projects
- Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture
Membership or eligibility for full membership with the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects
- Minimum 8 years related landscape design, proposal preparation, project management and landscape construction experience
- Minimum 2 years supervisory/ team management experience including interviewing, coaching, mentoring etc.
- Excel in critical thinking and have an inquisitive mind
- Strong knowledge of landscape architectural principles and practices and related standards and regulations
- A keen ability to articulate (both written and verbally) concepts, ideas and processes for a variety of audiences
- A proven ability to provide accurate and comprehensive instructions to a project team
- Proven leadership and team building
Ability to analyze complex technical information and make timely recommendations or decisions
- Knowledge and experience in project management
- Knowledge of Labor relations, interviewing, coaching, motivating and conflict resolution skills
- Experience in procurement and management/ oversight of external Professional Services
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s Licence (or provincial equivalent). Must obtain business auto insurance for personal vehicle use on City business
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Embrace the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, and foster an environment that encourages others to do the same
- Applicants may be tested
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt).
Hours of Work: 36.9 per week, Monday – Friday
Salary: $85,443.043 – $122,061.490 (Annually)
Closing Date : Jun 23, 2022 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to) : 1 – Permanent Full-time
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.